CPD SEMINAR FOR NEW PRACTITIONERS
Are you new to Criminal Advocacy? Then come to an evening with members of 9 KBW, listen to our speakers and chat to experienced members who know just how you feel. Talk to highly experienced defending and prosecuting Counsel. Ask the questions that worry you. CPD accredited
Whose side are you on?
(Criminal advocacy for new practitioners)
3rd November 2014
Whether you are appearing for the Crown or defending, this advocacy course will give you the essential keys and tips for an effective trial
Aims & Objectives
1. Presenting your case through an effective and compelling case theory.
2. Pre-empting lines of attack and dealing with weaknesses in your evidence.
3. Mastering the rules on bad character, hearsay and disclosure, so that you can deal with issues. before they arise and as the trial unfolds.
4. Practising the art of persuasion - tailoring your submissions to your tribunal, whether it be lay bench, District Judge, or jury.
5. Troubleshooting for prosecutors - Papers at court, case is in a mess, what do you do? Also: witness handling, including hostile witnesses.
This course will show you what each side needs to be prepared for. Even if you don't ever prosecute, the strategist in you will benefit from a greater understanding of how prosecutors think & work.
Speakers: Catherine Picardo and Sam Roake, barristers at 9 King's Bench Walk
Venue: The Oxford and Cambridge Club 71-77 Pall Mall, London SW1Y 5HD (please note there is a jacket and tie dress code for gentlemen)
Time Registration 5.45
Start Time 6.00pm